Sunday 13 November 2011

Happy Endings

So... I let my mom read one of my stories.  No one dies, there's no swear words, no sex, but it doesn't have the happiest of endings.  My mom's the type who seriously is unable to enjoy anything unless it has the 'perfect' happy ending, where Everyone in the entire story is left with a peaceful, happy life at the end of it.

I've been trying to think of stories that I've read that are happy.  Does anyone know of a story that would classify as a happy ending, yet still leaves the reader 'blown away' at the end?

I can't believe that I can never be impressed by a story unless it has some dark or looming ending, but I'm having trouble thinking of any that, if they aren't tragic, they're at the very least ambiguous and uncertain...

My own stories almost always end tragically, or at least hint at tragedy.

Just rambling thoughts from my head today.

3 comments:

  1. I listened to a Sherlock Holmes story a while back and it seemed to have a rather happy-ish ending. But it's also part of a larger series with the expectation that there's 20 or 30 more to read, so who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the Dan Brown books (Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons, etc), although a lot of people die THROUGHOUT those. But the main protagonists survive. Or are you talking about literature-type books?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm mostly talking about literature-type books. Or Short stories in particular. Anything that really affects the reader and makes them think... I don't know. heh.

    ReplyDelete